Monday, June 30, 2008

Reading and Writing, but please, no 'Rithmetic!

I have my friend Kiana to thank for getting me started on blogging. You'll see her blog, Kids, Dogs, and Ticks, listed under my favorite links! She always has such neat features on her blog. I need to sit down and ask her a lot of questions about how she added them!

Today I changed my template and added a new background, which I think reflects my love of flowers better than the simple green one I used to have. I'm sure I'll continue to play with it and change it, as I learn more about how to format the blog!

I've always loved reading (another passion I share with Kiana) and writing, so this will be a good opportunity to get some of my thoughts out on "paper," so to speak. Just please don't ask me to do any complicated mathematics! Unless it has some practical, real-world application (like cooking, or planning a garden), I just don't want to know about it!

Right now, I am really, really in need of a good book. The last few I checked out from the library didn't do much for me, and the one I borrowed from a neighbor definitely wasn't my style. I like books that really make me think, with characters that I could believe are real, and would even like to get to know. I like a good romance, or a mystery, or even science fiction, as long as it is character-driven, not focused primarily on the technology. In fact, one of my very favorite books is science fiction, called The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. If anyone has a favorite they'd like to recommend, I would be thrilled to hear about it!

Note to self: must find a good book club. There is nothing I like better than discussing a thought-provoking book, whether I actually liked it or not!

2 comments:

Kiana N said...

Great job on the layout! It looks great! You are figuring it out all on your own. You should come and raid my bookshelf full of books to be read and see if you find anything. If you have not read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult you should read that. I own it but a friend has it right now. It is one of my favorite books. I also have a book called The Princess by Lori Wick that I have actually read several times. Something I hardly even do.

Angie said...

Sister's Keeper was my first Jodi Picoult, and I should have put that on my list of favorites!

I tried to set up a bookshelf, similar to yours but with my favorites on it, but the wooden shelf part wouldn't show up. Wonder if it is because of my template. . .?