Monday, June 30, 2008

The End of T-Ball


T-ball has drawn to a close for the year. Justin's game tonight was really typical: the kids were playing in the dirt, racing each other for the ball, and even occasionally fighting their own teammates for it! I love T-ball. . .there is just no performance pressure, no one keeps score, every kid gets to bat every inning, no one has to sit on the bench, there are no strikes or outs. It is just plain fun, and such a great way to introduce the kids to the basics of baseball, without the burden of dozens of rules, and exceptions to rules. At the end of the season, every kid gets a medal, and walks away feeling like a champion.

Now, as a teacher, I often have mixed feelings about "everyone wins" situations. I understand that hard work should be rewarded, and that not all children have the same talents or abilities. I have seen kids quit putting forth effort, or not challenging themselves, because there is no motivation to press for excellence if weak effort gets the same reward as total commitment. However, I have also watched the pressure build in baseball for my older son, as each year new rules are added, and more is expected from them. He still loves baseball, but now, as a boy entering fourth grade, there is a lot more performance anxiety. He knows he gets only 3 strikes. He knows his coach will take off his hat and cover his eyes, shaking his head, if he throws it to first when he should have thrown it to second. He knows the pitcher is going to throw it hard, and try to make him miss.

As a parent, I want my kids to grow up learning how to deal with failure as well as success, and to learn that hard work pays off. I want them to learn the value of practicing. I want them to know the thrill of attaining a difficult goal. I want them to be well-prepared for real life as adults, not sheltered from disappointment. At the same time, I am a little sad to see them leaving the stage when they have such great self-esteem, and feel like a real winner no matter what. This is when my job as a parent gets hard: when I have to make my children understand that I am so proud of them, and the effort and hard work they expend, even if they DO strike out, or lose a game, or even space out and miss a play entirely. I am proud of them for getting out there and trying, instead of sitting at home afraid of failure.

When my kids grow up, I want them to remember their mom as their #1 Cheerleader.

No comments: